Flip this Pancake Day on its head by trying out an unconventional but delicious savoury option. The savoury aspect in itself might be adventurous enough for some but I dare you to walk on the wild side life and bring Indian flavours to the mix.
Using tandoori chicken tikka and mango chutney, this alternative style wrap is fresh and packed with taste enough to blow your lemon and sugar out the water. Although that’s not to say you couldn’t make enough to have the best of both worlds – remember, there’s 3 meal opportunities (at a minimum) and courses within those to truly dedicate yourself to this glorious day.
Ingredients: Makes 2
For the chicken – inspired by SBS
1 chicken breast, diced
2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
2 ½ tsp fresh ginger, minced
2 ½ tsp garlic, crushed
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp garam masala
2-3 pinches turmeric
For the pancakes
125g plain flour
pinch of salt
300ml semi skimmed milk
Knob of butter
For the toppings
2 spring onions, finely chopped
handful of spinach leaves
2tbsp mango chutney
1 tbsp greek yoghurt
1. Soak a couple of wooden skewers in water whilst you prepare the chicken.
2. Mix the yoghurt with all the spices and add the chicken pieces, ensuring they are well covered in the marinade. Refrigerate the chicken and marinate for a couple of hours.
3. Preheat the grill to 200°C. Skewer the chicken pieces and balance the sticks on the sides of a deep oven tray so that they are suspended above it. Grill for 20 minutes, turning regularly.
4. Sieve the flour and add the salt. Make a well in the middle of the flour, adding the egg and half the milk. Whisk until smooth then add the remaining milk to make a batter.
5. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add a ladle of pancake whilst on a high heat. Spread the mixture evenly around the pan and cook until the pancake starts to slide in the pan.
6. Flip the pancake and cook on either side until slightly brown.
7. Spread a tbsp of mango chutney on each pancake and top with the spinach leaves, chunks of chicken and spring onions. Finally, drizzle with greek yoghurt and scatter a few mint leaves on top.