With the spirit of Valentine’s in the air, I bring you a sweet treat that is bound for love at first bite. The idea of combining strawberry, basil and cheese may have you sticking your nose up at first but once you tuck in, you’ll wonder why you ever doubted it (or me).
Whilst the basil gives a surprising hint of contrast to the sweet strawberries and delicious cream cheese, it’s combinations like these, without a care in the world for the status quo, that reaffirms my love affair with food. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had our rocky patches- from numerous lack lustre cakes to overcooked poached eggs (that realisation of no runny yolk is the WORST). But time and time again, food steps up to the plate in my times of sorrow and happiness. I couldn’t live life without you (literally, I’d be dead otherwise). And once again, with this sandwich, food has bloody outdone itself. Bravo my friend, bravo. Je t’aime.
2 slices bread
3 tbsp cream cheese
3 tbsp icing sugar
Knob of butter
Handful of strawberries, de-stalked and sliced
4-5 basil leaves
1. Spread one side of both slices of bread with the butter.
2. Mix the 2tbsp of icing sugar and the cream cheese together then spread the mixture onto the non-buttered sides of the bread.
3. Arrange the 2 layers of strawberry slices on top of the cream cheese mixture, on one slice of bread and scatted with the basil leaves. Place the other slice of bread on top, buttered sides facing outwards to make the sandwich.
4. Heat a sauce pan and fry the sandwich until brown on both sides. Ensure to flip regularly so the bread doesn’t burn.
5. Serve with a sprinkling of sieved icing sugar and a drizzle of honey.