The final present of Christmas is undoubtedly the leftovers! Not least do they help us to drag out the festive period until the very last cheese crumb and pile on the last few excusable pounds before the January diets kick in, they also make for perfect sandwich fillers.
With the variety of meats, cheeses and condiments on offer, the options are plentiful and calls for some culinary experimentation. Being a cheese fiend, my sarnies consisted of firstly blue cheese, turkey and onion chutney, and secondly brie and cranberry.
Perhaps in your leftovers you may find the combination for your new favourite sandwich. You’d be starting the new year already a winner. Happy new year all!
Blue cheese, turkey and onion chutney
2 slices of bread (I used tiger bread)
2 thin slices of turkey
1 tbsp onion chutney
Few slices of soft blue cheese (I used Saint Agur)
1. Spread the onion chutney on one slice of bread and the blue cheese on the other.
2. Top with the turkey slices, and sandwich together!
Brie and Cranberry
2 slices of bread (I used thick white loaf)
2 tbsp butter
Few slices of soft brie
1 tbsp of cranberry sauce
1. Spread the outer sides of the bread with a generous amount of butter and the insides with the cranberry sauce.
2. Fill the inside with the slices of brie.
3. Fry the sandwich in a pan on a low heat, 1 minute on each side, flipping regularly until the cheese has slightly melted and the bread has browned .