We’re in an age of pushing the boundaries, refusing to accept anything less than ordinary and apparently the bog standard burger. We’ve experimented with the burger itself, the toppings and bread, all up until this point; the creation of the sushi burger! SAY WHAAAAAAT I hear you say.
Here, the east meets the west with such sweet, sweet harmony. Essentially, it’s taking delicious sushi ingredients and super sizing them and I’m not complaining because it tastes amazing!
Ingredients: (Makes one)
125g sushi rice
2 slices of smoked salmon
Pickled red cabbage
1 nori seaweed sheet
Black sesame seeds
For the mayo:
2 tbsp Mayonnaise
2 tsps Sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp Chilli flakes
1. Wash the sushi rice with water 3-4 times. Add the rice and 160ml of water to a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes with the pan lid on, then leave to stand for 25 minutes. Do not remove the lid in this time. Stand the rice in the fridge for 30 mins.
2. Use a small bowl for the top half of your bun. Rinse the bowl with water first to stop the rice sticking, then compact the rice in. If the rice bun doesn’t come out easily, use a spoon to carefully slide it out. Shape the bottom half of the bun with your hands.
3. Mash your avocado with the back of a fork and spread onto the bottom half of the bun.
4. Layer on top the salmon, red cabbage and nori sheet.
5. Mix all the mayo ingredients and add on top of the nori sheet. Top with the domed bun and finally sprinkle with black sesame seeds.